Eastern Colorado Crest-Stage Gage Network
Study Area: Eastern Colorado
Period of Project: October 2014 - December 2016
Project Number: RE00FZ2
Project Chief: Michael Kohn, P.E.
Cooperator: Colorado Department of Transportation
The U.S. Geological Survey StreamStats program can be used to estimate the magnitude of various annual exceedance probability floods such as the 50-year or 100-year floods at locations where no streamgage data are available. In eastern Colorado where few streamgages exist, the regional-flood equations used in StreamStats have large uncertainties. In order to reduce these uncertainties, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), in cooperation with Colorado Department of Transportation, is operating a crest-stage gage network at 10 culverts in eastern Colorado. In addition to improving the regional-flood equations used by StreamStats, the data collected at these gages can be used to estimate the magnitude of various annual exceedance probability floods such as the 50-year or 100-year flood should these culverts need replacing. Each crest-stage gage contains pressure transducers that record the water-surface elevation upstream and downstream from the culvert; the water-surface elevation is then used to determine the streamflow through the culvert. This study will provide 2 years of peak-streamflow data at 10 sites in eastern Colorado and data will be stored in the USGS National Water Information System database.
- Collect peak-streamflow data at 10 sites in the Plains hydrologic region of eastern Colorado using crest-stage gages.
Crest-Stage Gage Sites:
- 06752285 BOXELDER CREEK TRIB AT HWY 36 NEAR WATKINS, CO
- 06756350 SAND CREEK AT HIGHWAY 14 NEAR BRIGGSDALE, CO
- 06758400 GOOSE CREEK NEAR HOYT, CO
- 06760230 UNNAMED CREEK AT HIGHWAY 71 NEAR STONEHAM, CO
- 06822210 DUCK CREEK AT I-70 NEAR FLAGLER, CO
- 06822550 UNNAMED CREEK AT HIGHWAY 63 NEAR ANTON, CO
- 06822585 UNNAMED CREEK AT HIGHWAY 61 NEAR OTIS, CO
- 06822700 RED WILLOW CREEK AT HIGHWAY 59 NEAR YUMA, CO
- 06826680 BEAVER CREEK AT I-70 NEAR BURLINGTON, CO
- 06855001 BIG TIMBER CRK AT HWY 385 NEAR CHEYENNE WELLS, CO